
Authorities have not yet confirmed how many were injured in the shooting(Image: X)
Disturbing images emerged today following reports that a shooting had taken place at a boys' hockey game at Dennis M. Lynch Arena on Andrew D. Ferland Way in Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
According to reports on Monday evening, three people are dead – including the suspected shooter – and three others have been hospitalized with gunshot wounds. During the hockey game on Monday afternoon, shots rang out from the stands positioned behind the Blackstone Valley Schools bench. Police and paramedics rushed to the scene to treat the wounded and secure the area.
According to Rapid Report, police believe the shooter acted alone and are not currently looking for any other suspects.
Rhode Island Governor Dan McKee said in a statement shortly after the news broke, "We are actively monitoring the shooting at Dennis M. Lynch Arena in Pawtucket. I just spoke with Mayor Grebien as well as @RIStatePolice, who are working with local law enforcement. I am praying for Pawtucket and everyone involved."
Social media users documented the incident, sharing footage of the massive emergency response. One person noted that the Massachusetts State Police Air Wing had been deployed to provide support.
Nearby businesses also felt the impact. Employees at a Walgreens close to the arena told police that several children had run into the store, saying a shooting had taken place, reports the Express US.
The store was evacuated, and the youngsters remained inside under protection until help arrived, the Mirror US reported.
Officials have not released details about the victims' identities or any suspect, and the investigation is ongoing.
Pawtucket Times sports editor Branden Mello posted on X, "Harrowing scenes here at Dennis Lynch Arena where gunshots were fired at a boys hockey game between Blackstone Valley Schools. Shots came from the stands behind the BVS bench."
WJAR reported that the superintendent of Coventry Public Schools issued a statement about "a serious reported incident at Lynch Arena … where our Boys Hockey team was playing."
The statement noted information was still coming in, and that "We have been informed that students are secured in multiple locations."
At Reach and across our entities we and our partners use information collected through cookies and other identifiers from your device to improve experience on our site, analyse how it is used and to show personalised advertising. You can opt out of the sale or sharing of your data, at any time clicking the "Do Not Sell or Share my Data" button at the bottom of the webpage. Please note that your preferences are browser specific. Use of our website and any of our services represents your acceptance of the use of cookies and consent to the practices described in our Privacy Notice and Terms and Conditions.
Hockey News